I have been hard at work the last few days redoing our storage room in the basement and turning it into a combo guest room and video/photo studio. One of my favorite parts of this project has been combing the thrift stores, looking for great pieces at a low price that I can repurpose and transform to include in the room.
I recently grabbed an amazing dresser for $50.00 and gave it a facelift and structural update as needed. I also found a great mirror for only $12.00. It was in great shape, with a beveled edge and just a dark finish on the frame. It just needed a little paint love to match the dresser for a shabby chic collection.
Here is what you are going to need for this project:
- DecoArt Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paints and Creme Wax
- Paint brushes
- Paper towels
- Painter’s tape
- Sanding block
Here is the simple step by step:
- Use the painter’s tape to edge of the mirror and keep it from getting paint on it.
- Put a light layer of paint on the frame. Let it dry.
- Add a second light layer onto the frame. Allow it to dry.
- Use a small artist paint brush to add a bit of color to the layers within the frame. Let this dry.
5. Apply the wax and then wipe off with a damp paper towel. Add and remove until you get the look you like.
6. Distress the edges with a sanding block.
7. Remove the tape and clean the glass.
Hang it up and you are all set!
I love this shabby chic look – it is cozy and happy…