I cannot begin to thank you all for your amazing words of support and encouragement for my last post. I am blown away by the response and the love that was shared with me.
And this is what I am learning, accepting, and sharing with you…
- Love goes a long way – both giving and receiving it from those around us. While I often find it very easy to love on others, take care of others, and tell people how I feel about them, accepting love is often difficult for me. Thank you for sharing your love and your support with me. After this, I feel like I have been so loved that it is hard to walk away from all of that support and caring. You are all truly amazing.
- You get what you live – If you live in a world of joy and positivity, you get more joy and positivity. If you live in a world of worry and stress, you get more worry and stress. In order to be happy, you have to think and act and live happy – even when things might not be going so great. Take a negative and turn it into a positive.
- True friends are there… no matter what – I have learned that when the going gets tough, the marginals and the hangers-on are gone. They never stick it out for the bad stuff; they only want to be there to benefit from the good stuff. Make sure that the friendships you have are built strong, cultivated, nurtured, and cared for in a way that lets you know, deep down in your heart, that even on the worst day, that friend will hold your hand, or your hair, and that you would do the same for her.
- Family is a bond that also needs work – After losing family over the last few years, I am learning what it means to regret not saying those things that need to be said more regularly. I haven’t been the best granddaughter, daughter, niece, etc… that I can be. I need to show love in those relationships and work on nurturing and cultivating them as well. You can assume that your family HAS to love you – you’re blood after all. That doesn’t mean they like always like you. Make the time to take the time to show how much your family means to you and thank them. All the time. This goes back to showing love.
- Be sure to take care of YOU! – Yes, you. I have neglected myself, worrying about and taking care of every one and every thing else. The kids, work, family, etc… and I have not been good about watching what I eat, getting enough exercise, or resting when my body is screaming for me to rest. You only get one body and one trip through this life… if you don’t care for yourself and your body, it might be a short trip.
- Do what makes you happy – Again, life is too short to wonder about what if’s and why not’s and so on and so forth. Grab life. Embrace life. Dare to live out loud. For some people that might mean trying new foods; for others, it might mean skydiving. I am somewhere in the middle, but I know that sometimes I get too comfortable and I start to become complacent. Never settle. I don’t care if you are 19 or 90 – constantly take risks that point you in the direction of happiness. Be prepared to die with a smile on your face, knowing you lived a happy life.
Ok… so I know that is a bit touchy-feely for me, but I have been doing a lot of soul searching this year and in the wake of everything else going on in my life, I have come to the realization that I control my destiny. God has provided me with all of the tools and skills I need to be successful – I just have to choose to accept them, take them, and run with them. Sitting on the couch won’t do that. Not for any of us.
So I am up and moving and looking towards my future. I am putting one foot in front of the other and running into my future with my arms open, my eyes wide, and a smile plastered across my face, like a 5 year old chasing an ice cream truck.